Sweet November

      No Comments on Sweet November

It has been three months since my last entry on this site. So much wonderful things happened that i didn’t even noticed it was already that long. Though it seems it was just yesterday when i was literally carrying a heavy pouch on my tummy, my 9 months of (i can say) not so tough pregnancy is over. Yes, it wasn’t that hard for me as i claim it because i just had some mild dizziness and vomiting only on the start of my 3rd trimester.  I didn’t experience any edema as well, and luckily, didn’t gain so much weight either (from 55 kg during pregnancy, now 47.5 kg) Though i had a high fever on the 38th week, nonetheless, it all went well.

Every mother has her own pregnancy and delivery story, and here’s mine:

The morning of November 7, I went for my usual prenatal check up. The OB said my cervical opening was 1 cm then. 🙁 I was quite depressed because i was already on my 39th week, and i was thinking that the “walking” i was doing then wasn’t helping me at all. In addition to this, she endorsed me to another OB, since she’ll be going on an out of town seminar and will not be around for a week.  Quite worried, i went back home.

After lunch, i was lying on the sofa while watching the Napoles hearing. Suddenly i felt some pain on my lower abdomen. Uh oh! The pain was something similar when i was having dysmenorrhea. I wasn’t sure yet if it was the beginning of my contraction but i remember something i read on saying contractions are like pain during menses. Initially the pain was still tolerable. Until i observed that it became more frequent and more painful, although it was still tolerable. I went to the toilet to pee, and upon seeing some blood spotting, I knew that it will be “the day”.

I called my sister upstairs and informed her of my status. She is also a nurse so she would also know what to do. I prepared myself while she was telling my mother that we should go to the hospital. I was still calm at that time. I brushed my teeth and even managed to put on lipstick (hihi). My things were already prepared so we immediately went to the hospital.

It was around 4pm when we arrived at the Emergency Department. When the doctor did the internal exam, my cervix was 2 cm. The doctor actually wanted to send me home, saying it might took me another 16 hrs before the actual labor. what?! I knew for myself it wouldn’t take that long  because the pain became worse and more frequent. I insisted on staying, and tried to get a room to stay in. While waiting for the room to be available, I was lying on the ER bed. The pain became more and more severe. Although I can still tolerate it because it was the same feeling when i was having dysmenorrhea.

Around 6pm, they brought me to the Delivery room. Relax. Just for monitoring. The doctors wanted to check on the progress of my contractions. I can see from the monitor that my percentage contractions were 80-100%. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe Out. Repeated slowly.  One male doctor came and told me that i was already having severe contractions but my cervix was still 2-3 cm. He said the baby was ok, but during the contractions, the baby’s heart rate slows down. I was scared, but still trying to calm myself. The doctor said he could help me by manually opening my cervix if i would allow him. Alarmed that it would be very painful, I still agreed. I didn’t think of the pain at that time. I did not even felt shy on the thought that it was a male doctor. my focus is to deliver safely. And then he said, “deep breath…” wheeeeeew…… reeeealllyyy painful i wanted to shout, but i just let the tears do the talking.. and then, few minutes later, it was already 6-7cm. Then they started to put me on oxygen. Gave me some IV (intravenous) hydration and IV anesthesia and i slept.

I woke up from the voice of the doctor saying they would already bring me to the actual delivery room because i was already 8-9cm. I did not know what time it was.  I remember I became restless. Probably, the anesthesia. I wanted to get out of bed to pee,.. and poop… The doctor said i could just pee and poop there on the delivery table. So i just peed and pooped right then and there. I peed a lot but I think it might be my bag of water. I was very groggy but i can still remember the one i read on saying that you would know your’e pushing correctly if you have the urge to poop. So while i was doing it, i was telling myself, its ok jen, good job! (just to ease the humiliation! haha) And then I heard a baby’s cry. No! Not mine! Not yet.. It was from the other room. I felt pressured upon hearing it. I prayed.. On my mind I was talking to my baby, “we can do it!” Few minutes after, i felt i already have the urge to push it all.. I pushed once.. then i heard my OB saying, “good try jen.. do it one more”. Second time I pushed.. doctor said, “one more try jen, i can see the baby’s head already, little bit more..” Deep breath, pushed……. and finally….. thank God. It was a sudden gush of everything. It was 1157pm then. I didn’t get to see him right away because unconsciously, i slept right away. When I woke up, I was already in the recovery room  and my first words was ” si baby?” The baby was in the Nursery Room and will be roomed-in at 6am. I was brought to the room at 330am and saw my mother and sister waiting for me. I walked to the toilet right away to pee although i was still dizzy. I couldn’t sleep. While waiting for the baby to be roomed in, i ate. Early morning, a nurse came and brought my 2.75kg beautiful baby boy…

Rodrigo III Marshall Palogod Uboñgen…


It’s amazing that on that very moment, he gave us the sweetest smile… 🙂

and yes, I agree. He looks like his father. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *